I have come up with a quick list of thoughts pertaining to networking and partying during the holiday season. Consider this a “do or do not” kind of list. Just always remember, “There is no Try” (Benji bet me a dollar I couldn’t get the word Yoda into a post).
So here’s the list:
10. Host your own network gathering- Bring your network to your office, house or favorite joint and introduce them to one another. It’s a great way to help many at once.
9. Learn other culture’s holiday greetings- I speak to a lot of people who miss saying “Merry Christmas”. So say it, but also be able to wish others a “festive holiday” of their choosing too.
8. Setup weekly 4 tops for lunch between now and holidays- This is a great way to bring your network closer together. Look for the synergies and let them happen at the table in front of you.
7. Instead of sending clients cards and gifts, send them referrals…now that’s the gift that keeps on giving.
6. Get the attendee list in advance- You will be able to make the most of your networking time by having this information. Hopefully that adds to your cheer.
5. Use your holiday networking time to help get a jump start on your new year- Start filling up your January calendar with the folks you are meeting now.
4. Don’t be that GUY* at the party…you know the one who either is throwing their card in everyone’s face or falls down because they drank too much.
3. Know what your follow up plan looks like before needing it- If you know your target client and target business partners, you will know who the people you need to follow up with immediately.
2. Help others connect by introducing them to the people you know they need to meet- Listen. Understand how you can help and make the appropriate connections. Both parties will appreciate it.
1.5 Ask the host “who are the three people here that I must meet”?- They know everyone so they are in the right space to play matchmaker.
And # 1 on the Networking Your Way Through The Silly Season
…Don’t Network in the Punchbowl!- It’s just bad form
*GUY is an acronym for Gender Undetermined Yet